Thursday, April 2, 2009

Camp del Corazon

I know I mentioned that ER featured a program called Camp del Corazon recently.  I have always thought about letting Bailey experience this because I think it would be good for him to be around other kids with heart conditions so he would be surrounded by other people who knew what it felt like to be in his shoes but he has shown no interest.  I was hoping that after watching it on ER, he may be more excited about it, but he wasn't.  

Here is the link in case you were interested:  Camp del Corazon.  I met someone a few years back who was a heart recipient and she told me about how difficult the transition was for her.  Back then I didn't think Bailey would ever need a heart transplant, so I didn't fully grasp how important it was for me to meet her.  I wish I had kept in contact with her.  But the reason why I talk about her now is because she was a counselor at Camp del Corazon.  I wish I remembered her name.  She was a military brat too, was seeing a common Cardiologist.  I hope she is thriving now and over all the complications she was going through.

Bailey has been having a hard time lately.  His condition is really starting to set him apart from his peers.  When he was younger, he could play around with his classmates and not get so winded.  These days, he gets too tired to participate in the games and activities he enjoys.  It breaks my heart because he is trying so hard to find that happy medium of being "normal" and watching his health.  He is not afraid to tell anyone about his heart defect.  We have raised him to not be ashamed of his condition and that his heart makes him special.  He doesn't even fault the kids who give him a hard time...he just wishes he could make them understand.  I am so glad he is such a strong kid!  But I know it has been very difficult for him to be in this transition.   Thank God he's a fighter, otherwise I don't know what I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment